Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

1.25.2015

Scrambled Eggs with Garlic Sprout Stir Fry

Many of my childhood memories evolve around my late grandmother's food. I had always taken it for granted that she will live forever and never bothered to write down any of her recipes. When she passed away suddenly 7 years ago, all the family recipes disappeared as well.

Though the recipes disappeared, I can still vividly recall the taste, the aroma and the look on my grandmother's face as I devoured her many delicious meals.

Now I am trying to recreate the recipes she had once lovingly made for me and document it on this blog. This is in part so I can share these family recipes with my little man, who I hope one day, will recreate these dishes for his own family. The other part of me is recreating these recipes to relive those wonderful memories with my grandmother.

When I saw Sharon of Nut Free Wok post a recipe on garlic sprouts, it reminded me of the scrambled eggs with garlic sprout stir-fry my grandmother made with regular frequency. After a quick visit to the grocery store, I had successfully replicated the dish. But I still think my grandmother made it better.


Ingredients
3 to 5 eggs
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil, separated
1 bunch garlic sprout, washed, trimmed to 2 inch pieces (see note below)
1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)

Author's Note: Garlic sprout or garlic scape has a mild garlic flavor that is wonderful in stir fries, sauces, pastas, among many other dishes. It can be found at Asian grocers or farmers markets during the spring time. You want to buy garlic sprouts which are green and has a firm texture. Foodista has a great article on garlic sprouts if you want more info on this delightful vegetable.


Directions
1. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt.


2. Pour in a tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, scramble the eggs until it is soft and runny. Set aside.


3. To the pan, add the other tablespoon of vegetable oil and saute the garlic sprout until it is cooked but still has a firm bite to it (about 2 to 4 minutes).


4. Add in the scrambled eggs, soy sauce and saute until it is well combined. Serve immediately over rice as part of a multi-course meal.


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment